Sunday, November 18, 2012

Famous Landmark or Transportation Stencil Critique

Word Bank: Use these vocabulary words in your responses. Please underline or make letters bold when you use them. 

Stencil                 Spray Paint       Xacto Knife        Positive/Negative Space
Composition    Collage                Photoshop        Threshold              Contrast

1. Explain how you changed your photo in the lab to create a stencil.
In the lab we used Photoshop to change the threshold of the photo.  Then we had to saturate the threshold to what we wanted in the means of contrast of the black and white.  This was done to make the stencil.

2. When creating the collage background explain your choices of colors, materials (magazine paper, books pages, etc), and placement. How does it relate to your topic? If no relation discuss general idea.
When completing my background collage I wanted it to be bright and multicolored and no much texture.  I did so because my photo was of a soldier and tank so I wanted the stencil to really stand out against the background.  I used newspaper for the background, however it did not add much to the texture.  The overall composition of the background make the stencil really shown.

3. Discuss the way positive and negative space was used to create your stencil.
The positive and negative spaces I used to create the stencil was pretty difficult.  I cut out the black parts because I wanted the negative space to be colorful.  I also wanted the negative space/shadow to be visible.

4. When using the xacto knife, explain the safety procedures, how to use the knife and any challenges you had to overcome while cutting.
I had no challenges using the xacto knife besides getting it to cut little lines.  The safety procedures are basically to cut away from yourself and not to fool around so your don't danger yourself or others.  

5. How was your experience with the spray paint? Discuss how color choice is important, placement of stencil, and any other concepts you noticed while creating this. 

My experience with spray paint was fun.  I loved how it smelled.  Overall it wasn't complicated and really added to the whole composition in a fun way.  The color choice was just fun and bright.  The placement of the stencil had to be precise so the Spray painting of it was correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment